Monday, August 13, 2012

Jeffrey Side and "American Candid"

[So] on Saturday in England Jeffrey Side split a hair using an exacto blade.  He proved in email correspondence reproduced on his blog, that he had said in email that Bobbi Lurie's email to him long ago had become increasingly psychotic. He had not said in email that she was psychotic. I relayed his opinion to her in the past without forwarding her those emails, and I told her that he had said "emails ... psychotic," not her, but she insisted that it was the same. His diatribes against me use her to make his points. And now she is in the minor poetry news in a third-person light. Side didn't answer her email yesterday. His long blog post accuses me of incompetence and "malicious gossip." He blocked my comment to the post at his blog. He issued my two e-chapbooks of stories. He did that without ever commenting, even once, about the work in the e-chapbooks. I had to depost "American Candid" at Ana Verse about midnight last night, including its yesterday's emailed comments from Bobbi Lurie, when I learned that she had not even seen Side's blog post about her until then though I had told her about it on the phone.  Nor has she fully read it yet. I don't blame her for not keeping Internet minutiae clear as she packed for her family's cross-country medical trip for her son. The offence, this time, that Side documents in his diatribe, is the difference between "her email" and "her," the failure to perceive it mine, he says.  He does not note her belief that there is no meaningful difference in view of the word "psychotic."

I thought, I need to depost "American Candid," the partial transcript of the Otherstream flaming thread that Side started against me on August 1 at FB for digressing about prosetics and for posting a fiction-related link at The Argotist Online. "American Candid" is interesting to read for its prose behaviors. Side misreads in it in front of everyone, though it moves quickly (it certainly moved quickly when it was live), and men in the thread (participants are men except two) seem to forget during it that the title of the thread is a flame. Whenever I interject even there (the header has my name in it), one or more men accuse me of hijacking again. Mostly, they talk about war in it. I like it as a document of theater, live theater. I may repost it if I get full clearance again. [Reposted 9 p.m.] Bobbi, too, misread. She thought that in "American Candid," I had posted my correspondence with Side, though Side had done that.  She says the word "psychotic" is incriminating even in defense against it. She emailed she could find a lawyer. I said, well, Side feels justified in printing email correspondence to defend his character.

Side and Bobbi had a correspondence that he didn't print that began in discussion of the British poet Veronica Forrest-Thomson. Side sent Bobbi quack remedies for cancer, she told me, and when she lived in London, she met many Brits who believed in false-hope remedies such as those Side proposed to her.

"Take it outside!" as I relate in "American Candid" Zon said in 2001.  To the outside, it seems men are on a side named Side, and women are lurking.
 
In a message dated 8/12/2012 11:49:19 P.M. Central Daylight Time, bobbilurie@.com writes:
YES, JEFF SIDE'S BRAIN: DRINKING
WATER WHILE STANDING ON YOUR
HEAD AND SPEAKING IN HUNGARIAN
IS NOT A CURE FOR CANCER, JEFF
SIDE'S BRAIN...YOU'LL JUST MAKE MY
CANCER WORSE...

4 comments:

Ann_Bogle said...

Page views today:

43 Jeffrey Side and American Candid
15 American Candid
10 M ILLNESS

The least interesting of the three entries is the first one.

Ann_Bogle said...

Re: story called "Solzhenitsyn Jukebox." Edits mentioned in comment are my edits. Microscopic. Okay, Marc Vincenz, you know, Tim VanDyke, at the Otherstream thread against me that Jeffrey Side started on August 1st, likened me to a baker at a fundraiser for the physics department. I said "fuck you" to him--my aunt and uncle were physicists at Oak Ridge--though I'd stated that I reserve the imperative use of "fuck" for whoever-they-are military who kill or dislocate or maim civilians. And then, anecdote, bell, whistle, Kate Zambreno, I relented, Jeffrey Side, and did not say "fuck you" in St. Cloud A.A. mtg. to the convicted pub assailant (who punched a guy), trained in Iraq to kill folks, people, Muslim folks, Muslim people? In A.A. there is no reason. The reason is booze. That vet was court-ordered. My friend with whom I attended that mtg. is a doctor, a woman. She sticks up for the Iraq War vets. I stick up for Vietnam War vets. I give the Vietnam disabled a little $. Haber is right. He says the military families are all confused. Who killed 1.5 million Iraqis? Saddam Hussein did it? There is also displacement. Today I lost a tiny silver screw that holds together my key ring. I repaired it after describing it as lost to a waitress who found it on the floor. Marc, if Amy King approves it, it'll go through Buffalo Poetics Listserv, where Jeffrey Side posted links to diatribes against Ann Bogle and Bobbi Lurie at his blog, that Clicquot (the kitty) was spotted in the FB photos of a banker in Asheville who is friends with a lawyer in Asheville, Robert Karriker, who wrote Carol's will that she signed. It is not as bad as being Douglas to the winds. He's pretty stalwart, as are you, if you mean it, that you like this story.

Ann_Bogle said...

A friend and admirer sent this in response to the issue at hand:

Beautiful Ann! The next time anyone else questions you, please modify the topic and feel free to use this in reply:

LITTLE GIRL ON A PLANE....

An atheist (board member, on line chat administrator) was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, "Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger."

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, "What would you want to talk about?"

Oh, I don't know," said the atheist. "How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death? (We're doing what we're doing, deleting your threads)" as he smiled smugly.

"OK," she said. "Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff - grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?"

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl's intelligence, thinks about it and says, " Hmmm, I have no idea."

To which the little girl replies, "Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don't know shit?"

And then she went back to reading her book.

Thanks, NK!

Unknown said...

Ah... I remember this (smile). Would love to read the transcript of the original thread if you still have access to it. Abrazos, Luis