Saturday, June 23, 2007

Seven Things (a writing exercise)
















The Minnetonka Historical Society Burwell House Ice Cream Social, Minnetonka Mills, Hopkins Westwind Concert Band under the direction of Don Bates (June 23, 2007).


Seven things people may not know about me:

1. I saw and heard read James Baldwin and Jorge Luis Borges at Memorial Union Theater in Madison in the 1980s.

2. I played clarinet seriously, studying with Robert Haugen and the chair of music at U of Minnesota while still in high school. Don Bates was our conductor and led an astonishing number of musicians to the professional level.

3. On the MN driver's license: I have hazel green eyes; I am 45 years old; I am just over 5'10" tall and weigh 135 pounds.

4. My father taught us our love for outdoor camping and fishing. We went to Y summer camps. I used to have a small tackle box and knew how to spin out a fly.

5. I get up at 4 a.m. I nap at 4 p.m.

6. I have no deep desire to publish books, or else it is so deep, I forget it.

7. I come from a line of British aristocrats and Swedish farmers. And, yes, I have a brother!

No comments: