Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Turtle

This turtle was crossing the nature path on today's walk. I had to cover my head in disposable dog bags when the rain started. Other walkers -- all with dogs -- came prepared, wearing rain ponchos and carrying umbrellas. My umbrella was in the car, perhaps a mile away in the downpour. I was wearing my white floral Birkenstocks which were slipping in the rain, so I couldn't run for it. The path is a little rough, made of red clay and stones, so I couldn't slip off the shoes. My jeans were soaked, my bag was damp, my arms were drenched. The turtle I met before the rain started. He backed a little when I went near to photograph him with my telephone. I have observed nature for 11 years, much of it in the woods in our yard; it is only because I smoke that I have observed so much about the wildlife. There have been foxes, deer, raccoons, red squirrels, woodpeckers, cardinals, finches, sparrows, wrens, possums, a coyote, hawks, owls, and other animals. Driving, I have seen wild turkeys in the woods near the road, a black squirrel, a white squirrel. I have wanted to relate my many nature stories.

No comments: